Costume Cave

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Costume Cave

Costume Cave

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for costumers helping costumers.

3 posters

Bride Witch || Left 4 Dead 2

sabine
    sabine

Bride Witch || Left 4 Dead 2 Empty Bride Witch || Left 4 Dead 2

Post  sabine Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:38 pm

So, for Halloween my friend planned a vidya-themed party. She told me she planned on going as Zoey, and so I said I'd dress as the Witch. The only thing is I'm a fan of having my ass covered properly, but luckily, we have the Bride Witch! Anyway, so I had plans, was going to idly work on it..
      Then my boyfriend and I decided to attend an upcoming con, a con that was 8 days away. >_> Having the plans and some parts, I kicked it into high-gear to have the Witch ready by then.

I have to say, I think this is so far my most successful cosplay, and the one I have enjoyed the most!
      On to some process photos and then the finished product!

Reference:
      [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
      Not terribly complicated, it's just a matter of finding the right parts, really. I got super lucky with the dress. I went into a Goodwill and walked right into the dress that I wanted. It was my size, had the correct shape and style with a few needed modifications. The sleeves were very poofy and went to the elbow, and the bodice and the sleeves were covered in little pearl beadwork. I had to rip out all the poofy-fluffers from under the main skirt and perform surgery on the sleeves so as to not have 80s-tastic shoulders. And remove all the beadwork. Luckily, I didn't have to worry about being careful. Once all that was done, I had a blast putting the dress on and simply taking scissors and a dagger to the skirt.

I don't have an image of the before, but here's the dress after modification:
      This is also after I let it soak in a bath of black tea and coffee grinds. After that, I made a mixture of blood acrylic paint and made it a little nasty.

After the dress, all that really concerned me was the claws. I had already picked up some neat bases to use at a Halloween store, and planned to make them using epoxy. I don't know how, but I got to the idea of using duct tape to help flesh them out and give me the length I needed. After that it was just put on epoxy, sand, etc. I believe I made a few of them too thick, but it doesn't that bad or bulky from some distance. I'm also just really picky and critical.

Claw progress:

After I got those done, I just found a tiara, a veil to cut up some, and was essentially done! Just had to paint myself in a parking lot the morning of the con with only car reflections and side mirrors to aide me, rofl.
      Honestly, the yellow lighting in the convention center was what really helped my cosplay. I realized into the day that I was simply just far too grey. I needed more fleshy-grey tones in my body paint, but didn't have the time or the resources to fix it during the day. Oh well, next time!

Finished Product!
      (More to come as I find them. >_>)
    ka-san
    ka-san

Bride Witch || Left 4 Dead 2 Empty Re: Bride Witch || Left 4 Dead 2

Post  ka-san Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:07 pm

Oh wow this looks amazing!

I think a girl at my school actually used your Witch claws as a reference, but she did it really badly and they looked like shit. It's all good though, I really don't like her haha.

But man your's are so cool! How did you blend the fingers into your hand? Paint?
    sabine
    sabine

Post  sabine Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:20 pm

Hmm, did she make them very recently? I just finished mine last Friday for a con this past weekend, haha, so I think she might have been looking somewhere else. If she used epoxy, she may not have mixed the parts correctly or simply was impatient while working with them. I think I stripped and re-epoxyed some of them up to three times. The only reason I didn't do it for the thicker ones was because I ran out of time(andwaslazy).

But thank you! : D And yup, good ol' acrylic paint, lol. I tried using other methods of dying my fingers, but nothing really worked. Luckily, I got pretty good at using my hands with them and only needed to take them off a few times so I didn't really rub the paint on my fingers off.
    ka-san
    ka-san

Post  ka-san Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:25 pm

Oh lol maybe not then, it was for Kumoricon at the beginning of September. I think she just used electrical tape, actually. It was a lazy job.

Man I'm so impressed, those claws blend perfectly into your hands.
    squidglue
    squidglue

Post  squidglue Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:17 pm

That does look super creepy! Great job!
    sabine
    sabine

Post  sabine Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:06 am

@ka-san: Yeah, the paint did a decent job, it worked n pictures, but probably not so much as you got real close to them. I think I want to experiment with some sort of putty or something. Dunno what it's called, but I know it exists, lol.

@squid: Thank you! =]

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:28 am