Costume Cave

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Costume Cave

Costume Cave

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for costumers helping costumers.

+3
Mr_Owl
KyleMistry
ka-san
7 posters

Slowpoke Gijinka

ka-san
    ka-san

Slowpoke Gijinka Empty Slowpoke Gijinka

Post  ka-san Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:36 pm

I made one shitty gijinka once so I could cosplay with Nukka, but this time I want to make a nicer one.

I'm doing Slowpoke:
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    Aw yea

My plan is to make a little romper-style garment with elastic in the waistband and leg holes and then wear white otks and a white thermal underneath. Then for shoes I'll get white slippers, although for going out and about I have a pair of white lolita shoes I'll use.

Originally I was going to do this for MEWcon, then Halloween, and now my school's JNHS wants me to be in their homecoming float, which is on Friday.

I have four yards of pink fleece and some elastic, let's do this.

Last edited by ka-san on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
    KyleMistry
    KyleMistry

Slowpoke Gijinka Empty Re: Slowpoke Gijinka

Post  KyleMistry Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:50 pm

One week to put it all together? God damn.

Looking forward to seeing this though, here's hoping for you. And of course, shots when it done are a given, yeah?
    ka-san
    ka-san

Post  ka-san Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:04 pm

Yup. I'm not too worried, it's sort of like making bloomers but with a loose bodice. And I've made bloomers both for myself and for commissions and they only take an hour, the part that takes longest is cutting. AND FFFFFFF I HATE SEWING WITH FLEECE.

And yeah I'll definitely take photos, my boyfriend (Mr_Owl) is going to be Slowking with me for Halloween.
    Mr_Owl
    Mr_Owl

Post  Mr_Owl Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:35 am

I guess I should post my Slowking Plans was well.
    This is the general idea I have for the outfit
    And this is the progress me and Ka-san have on the hat
    TK6189
    TK6189
    Admin

Post  TK6189 Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:03 pm

Awesome so far. I'm excited to see how this turns out.
    9kitsune9
    9kitsune9

Post  9kitsune9 Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:34 pm

I can't wait to see it! I hope you can get it done!!
    ka-san
    ka-san

Post  ka-san Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:32 pm

I cut and sewed the main piece together. I think I might need to take the front in or something. It looks kinda funny on top.

But first I'll do the legholes. It's just a dress right now since I was afraid of cutting the crotch, but now I'll do it.
    ka-san
    ka-san

Post  ka-san Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:07 pm

So I decided to scrap the romper idea, it didn't work. Instead, I decided a tank top would look cute with my white bloomers, so I made a tank top out of the fleece. Oh man that was so much easier than trying to deal with shit I've never made before.

Here's what I have now

All I have to do now it make the ears. I also thought it'd be cute to make some super baggy legwarmers with my leftover fleece, so I'll do that too.
    PiggyNukka
    PiggyNukka

Post  PiggyNukka Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:43 pm

It looks cute so far! There's something a little off on it though. I think its the fact that there's so much white....

If it's possible I think it would look better if you put some sleeves on it and possibly made some pink bloomers with it. I know you are currently making it for your school float but maybe before you wear it to a con. That's just me though.
    TK6189
    TK6189
    Admin

Post  TK6189 Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:59 pm

PiggyNukka wrote:It looks cute so far! There's something a little off on it though. I think its the fact that there's so much white....

If it's possible I think it would look better if you put some sleeves on it and possibly made some pink bloomers with it. I know you are currently making it for your school float but maybe before you wear it to a con. That's just me though.

I agree on this point. I think a bit more pink would help bring the whole thing together.
    ka-san
    ka-san

Post  ka-san Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:15 pm

Luckily I wasn't done, I also have some pink legwarmers and ears.

O'Faolain
    O'Faolain

Post  O'Faolain Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:29 pm

Ridiculous amount of d'awe-ing going on over here. You never fail to astound me at what you can get done in limited time.

And I realize ya said they'd be "super baggy" but they look a little too baggy to me. I think they should be higher up on your calf. Like their super baggy form is too different from the clean lines of your top/tail and, to me, looks like you didn't quite make the leg warmers right.

If they were a little higher up on your calf then I think the costume pieces would look more as a whole instead of the leg warmers looking like an "eh" add-on. =)
    ka-san
    ka-san

Post  ka-san Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:01 am

Wore the costume for the parade and now I know what I need to do.

-Like you guys said, I'm gonna take the legwarmers in more. Enough for me to arrange them to be baggy (like loose socks that were popular with Japanese school girls in the 90's) but they actually stay on my leg.
    -Make light pink cotton bloomers instead of white ones.
    -Make more accurate ears. Slowpoke's ears are like swirly thingies, any ideas on how to do that?
    -Fix the tail >: I was walking and the string I tied to the top broke so I need to fix it. I stuffed the tail with stuffing and leftover fleece, but I think the fleece inside made it too heavy. I'll fix that.
    -Wash my slippers because they got too dirty walking outside >:

A pic from the parade:
    KyleMistry
    KyleMistry

Post  KyleMistry Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:09 am

ka-san wrote:-Make more accurate ears. Slowpoke's ears are like swirly thingies, any ideas on how to do that?

My suggestion'd be to make some kind of fabric-tube, stuff it a bit, and roll that and find a way to keep it together. Glue'd be crude, but as a last resort (and if you can hide it well enough) it could work, but there's probably better solutions.

Costume looks great so far though, nice stuff!
    PiggyNukka
    PiggyNukka

Post  PiggyNukka Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:31 pm

For the ears, make them and then stuff them (if you stuffed them), closing the bottom. Then sew the swirl design through the ears and stuffing.

For the tail stuff it with polyfill instead (fluff they put in bears and stuff). Maybe get some thick wire to make a frame out of it and put the fleece over it, then stuff it. You'll probably still need a fishing line or whatev, but it will a smaller chance of snapping.

Also, I'd suggest getting new shoes and a wig. If you were to wear it at a con it would look really tacky (the slippers that is). Maybe get some cute white slippers that don't have a character on them, or some white flats.
    Your hair just really doesn't match the costume at all and looks a little odd to me. It help pull the costume together. Then you could also hide the headband for the ears or sew the ears directly to the wig.
    ka-san
    ka-san

Post  ka-san Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:48 pm

For the ears I originally tried that, but sewing the swirl on looks really crappy. I was thinking of actually making the ears swirly, I have an idea but it's hard to explain.
    I'll probably just make some and post a pic later in the week.

I'm pretty sure what I bought was polyfill, it's stuffing for bears that they sell at Joann's. The problem I have with the tail isn't that it isn't stiff enough, it's just too heavy. So I'll take out the fleece and replace it with more stuffing. Then I'll use three strings (one in the middle, one on either side) to keep the tail up.

I just bought some pink slippers since I couldn't find any white ones anywhere. They're just a solid color.
    And the main reason I made this costume is so that I don't need a wig. I want a comfy costume and wigs usually hurt my head. I'm planning on wearing this to MEWcon, and I'm hoping to have blonde hair by then, so maybe that'll help? I will not buy a brand new wig just for this costume.
    TK6189
    TK6189
    Admin

Post  TK6189 Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:56 pm

Id like to see how the ears get made. Be sure to take lots of progress pics!
    ka-san
    ka-san

Post  ka-san Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:37 pm

Oh I will. I think I'll probably need to make a few drafts of them. I hate ears.
    TK6189
    TK6189
    Admin

Post  TK6189 Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:10 pm

I just got an idea today that I think may help out with the overall look of the costume. have you considered adding a pink hood to it? I think it would solve both the hair not seeming to fit in issue and would give you something to easily attach the ears too.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:05 am